Under our constitution the club is run by a Board of up to 10 directors who meet periodically to make decisions on behalf of members. Most Board members have a focus on a particular discipline of the club and may have various volunteer coordinators liaising with them. These relationships are outlined below along with position descriptions for each coordinator.
To raise a matter with the club either make direct contact with the appropriate coordinator or Director or email Derwent@canoe.org.au. If needed, escalate an issue to the Commodore if an issue is urgent or sensitive.
The club no longer holds regular member meetings. Club members will be emailed to vote on significant decisions/matters and social events are now organised to bring members together across disciplines.
Board meetings are generally held on the first Thu the month. Let the secretary and appropriate Director know if you wish to attend or present at the meeting.
Roles and Responsibilities
Commodore: Peter Eckhardt
- Position Description: pd-commodore
- TIS Slalom Coordinator
Vice Commodore: Vicky Bonwick
- Position Description: pd-vicecommodore
- Under 3 program
- Boat Shed
Secretary: Dave Marshall
- Position Description: pd-secretary
- Canoe Polo
Treasurer: Mel Kruger
- Position Description: pd-treasurer
Position Description: pd-director
Director: Sean Beggs
- Social events
- Slalom Events and Courses
Director: Richard McMinn
- Governance and Strategy
Director: Susan Hodgman
- Slalom Events and Courses
Director: Roz Barber
- Ocean Ski Racing
Boat Shed Manager: Stewart Bennett
- Liaise with Derwent Sailing Squadron (DSS) on handover of DCC responsibilities regarding boat storage.
Asset Manager: Phil Watkins
- Gets to audit the gear
- Help design the gear hire part of the webpage
- Give advice on storage, procurement of new gear and disposal of old
Membership Coordinator: Giselle Vincent
- Provide a phone or face to face point of contact for new members to welcome them to the club and “show them the ropes”
- help them sign up to the Paddle Flash, Facebook
- invite them along to club meetings and events
- discuss paddling options (Under 3 trips, Brown’s Races, Paddle Power, etc)
- resolve membership signup or renewal issues.
Ocean Ski Coordinator: Roz Barber
- Liaise with other organizations like Surf Life Saving, multi sport races etc to organise a calendar of events.
- Promote the calendar through various media including canoe tas.
- Maintain existing safety management plan with AC and MAST.
- Ensure that events and event organisers comply to AC and MAST guidelines .
- Organise state titles through Canoe Tas.
- Prepare submissions to State and National committees.
- Oversee care and maintenance of safety boats.
- Have DCC media as primary source of information.
- Develop links with membership categories to encourage SLSSA members to participate in AC events and vice versa.
- Develop method to ensure that all participants are AC members.
Canoe polo: Dave Marshall
- Draw up a roster and delegate duties amongst volunteers and teams
- Take enquiries from the website (what website, where do enquiries go?)
- Be present at most games
- Collect rolling money
- Organise working bees
- Monitor compliance for membership and event payments – Reports can be generated from our website to track this.
- Liaise with the DCC committee and communication officer to manage member engagement.
Communication Coordinator: Vicky Bonwick
- Has the “Big Picture” overview of club communications then delegates jobbies to those responsible to make sure information is out there effectively
- monitors the website to see if information has gone out of date – such as paddling calendar, new initiatives, social events, contact details, etc
- Sends out Facebook and Flash updates and invites
- Comes to club meetings to get the “low down” on initiatives and flamboyantly communicate it to the rest of the club members (or however you see it being posted so that the message gets out there effectively – the creative licence is yours)
- Note our membership website has good tools to allow filtering to assist with targeting different disciplines.
Slalom Events Coordinator:
- Coordinate the running of slalom races and camps/trips
- Determine an event calendar for races and camps/trips
Slalom Coaching Coordinator:
- Run a level one coaching course every 2nd year
- Run 4 one-hour coach education sessions every year
- Oversee coach accreditation
Paddle Power Coordinator:
- Plan the term based PP coaching program dates
- Promote the upcoming program to schools and polo players and in social media
- Coordinate coaches for the upcoming term, including Club coach agreements
- Ensure coach payments are processed
Slalom Equipment/Sites Manager:
- Manage PP slalom gear hire (paddles and boats). Including tracking of gear in/out.
- Oversee slalom poles ropes and gear is stored and maintained (?Slalom Trailer)
- Ensure BB and Browns slalom sites are maintained
Slalom Daily Training Coordinator:
- Set daily training plan for weeks and months ahead for training paddlers
- Ensure coaching support for sessions
- Plan and set BB/Bradys and other training days
- Coordinate with hydro when required
TIS Slalom Program Coordinator
- Liaise with program stakeholders (TIS, AC, DCC)
- Oversee coaching program
- Report to stakeholders as required